Former Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt filed a federal lawsuit against the Ole Miss Athletics Foundation on Wednesday, alleging key figures including current football coach Hugh Freeze and athletics director Ross Bjork violated the school’s 2011 severance agreement with him by pushing a false narrative that the bulk of its ongoing NCAA infractions case involved violations occurred under Nutt’s tenure as head coach.
Ole Miss is expected to appear in front of the NCAA’s committee on infractions later this year. The school has been accused of 21 violations tied to its football program. The program has already acknowledged a number of those 21 violations occurred. Earlier this year, Ole Miss instituted a self-imposed bowl ban for the 2017 season. However, still fighting the most serious charge of a lack of institutional control.
The lawsuit alleges that Freeze, Bjork, and sports information director Kyle Campbell reached an agreement to carry out a campaign to misinform and mislead the media, Ole Miss Boosters, potential recruits about the possible NCAA infractions being investigated by the NCAA.
According to the lawsuit, which obtained phone records for Freeze, Bjork, and Campbell, they spoke to reporters before their stories were posted containing misleading information about the Notice of Allegations and the involvement of Houston Nutt.
In statement, Ole Miss General Counsel Lee Tyner said the university has not been served with the lawsuit, but we are aware it has been filed.
“We were provided a copy a short time ago,” Tyner said, “We will carefully review Coach Nutt’s claims and respond in due course.”
The lawsuit comes while SEC Media Days is happening in Hoover, Alabama. Hugh Freeze is scheduled to speak Thursday during SEC Media Days. This topic will definitely be address by the media with Freeze on Thursday.
Read more on NUTT VS. OLE Miss: Read the lawsuit here